About Me

My photo
Follow me in my journey through life!

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Texas: Three Days Later


It's been about three days since we arrived in Texas, and it's been quite a fun time! On Friday we headed off to the Dallas Zoo, where our admission was free! Knowing that zoos will often give discounts on admission to zookeepers from other zoos, I went up to the membership window and told them that I was a zookeeper and was wondering if they had any discounts for zookeepers. The woman asked me how many were with me, I said three total- and she gave us free admission! The zoo itself was nice, though their restaurant choices left a little to be desired. After the zoo, we went back to the hotel to relax a bit, then later headed downtown, where we saw this georgous fountain!

On Saturday we headed to Heritage Village, which is supposed to be a great living history village from the late 1800s. The picture at the left is a portion of the village, known as main street. Being as I love living history places, I was all excited to go. Unfortunately, when we got there, we learned that there are only actors present during certain months of the year - not including Auugust. We did still go through the village and the museum aspect of it was interesting, but over all a bit disappointing considering I expected living history. Afterwards we went to the West End District of downtown, where we saw the 6th Floor Museum in the Book Depository, where the sniper who shot JFK was perched on that fateful day back in the 1960's. There was a lot of info about JFK's life, the day of the murder, and the investigations afterwards, but not much talk of the conspiracies - surprise surprise. We saw the window where Lee Harvey Oswald stood to shoot JFK exactly how it looked the day it happened. Once done downtown, we headed to a new hotel in Fort Worth, Texas; our last one had been horribly disappointing. Once settled into our new hotel, we went to Mexican Inn, where we ordered authentic and delicious Mexican food, bought hand-blown glass cups imported from Mexico, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

On Sunday, today, we went to the Stockyard Exchange, in Fort Worth. While there we saw a cattle drive, a gun fight reenactment (there we are in a picture with the outlaws of the fight at left), cowboy/indian actors, and lots of shops. Afterwards we came back to the hotel to enjoy a relaxing afternoon. A vacation from our vacation, as it were. :)




Tomorrow we head off to CARE, where I will be living and interning for the next 3.5 months! I'm nervous, excited, anxious, and happy all at the same time. I loved our vacation, but I'm ready to get settled into my new home and I can't wait to meet everyone there! I'll let you all know how it goes! To the left is a picture of my sister, mom and me in Colombia!

No comments: