About Me

My photo
Follow me in my journey through life!

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The gorillas are taking over.......

Okay, so it's more like the data about the gorillas is taking over. Yes, that's right... lucky me is doing data analysis for her Gorilla project! It's sooooooooo exciting. For those of you who don't really know what I mean, let me give you a background. Back in June/July of 2006 I studied the effect of visitors on captive gorillas in Zoo Saarbruecken, in Germany. This involved me sitting outside the gorilla enclosure for 24 hours over four weeks, writing down how many people were present, where the gorillas were in the enclosure, along with a bunch of other information.

And now I get to go through that data and find out if I have any results at all. I'm crunching numbers. Which means I'm going through not 100, not 200..but over 900 observations, in an effort to get the proof to back up my hypothesis. Or to disprove it.

I've spent many many hours doing this data analysis, only to be getting no where. At least I feel like I'm getting no where. In reality I'm getting somewhere, but it's awfully slow work. And I don't know how to speed it up... and I'm going crazy doing this.

Once I get the data analysis done, it won't be so bad. Then all I have to do is write up the paper, more or less. And I'm good at writing papers. But this number crunching stuff?

It's driving me craaaaazzzzzyyyy..........

No comments: